Is it time for your body peace to get political? Are you ready to stand up against diet culture for good? Listen now to hear my letter to diets, and get ready to get fired up with me!
Subscribe and leave a review here in just seconds.
This episode is brought to you by my online course, Your Step-by-Step Guide to PCOS and Food Peace. Sign up now to get on the waitlist for the next enrollment period in January 2018, and receive my FREE road map: Your First 3 Steps Toward Food Peace with PCOS. You CAN make peace with food even with PCOS and I want to show you how.
Product links may be affiliate. If you click and make a purchase, you'll support Love, Food at no extra cost to yourself.
Episode's Key Points:
- We've come to the end of Season 1 of the Love, Food Podcast, and to close us out, I'm going to be reading a letter written by me, straight to diets.
- It's time to dismantle diet culture, and I need your help. Send me your Dear, Food letter for next season to firstname.lastname@example.org. I'm looking forward to hearing them!
- Don't forget to subscribe to the show, and leave a rating and review. It's so important to leave a rating and review, as it helps people who are struggling with their relationship with food and body to find the podcast.
- “A culture fixated on female thinness is not an obsession about female beauty, but an obsession about female obedience. Dieting is the most potent political sedative in women’s history; a quietly mad population is a tractable one.” - Namoi Wolf, The Beauty Myth
- We should all be raising our children as feminists.
- Food IS political, and dieting IS political. We HAVE to talk about politics and feminism if we hope to dismantle diet culture and the patriarchy for good.
- Diets have condemned certain body sizes, and they have distracted all of us from experiencing true joy in our lives and with food. Diets keep us from experiencing connection and joy with others! Diets tell us we aren't worthy of love until we're the "right" size. But none of the things diets tell us are true.
- Diet culture pretends to be about health, and even has begun to feel like a religion. Diets have gone way too far.
- Diets predict weight gain and eating disorders!
- People who oppose diets, and the damage that they do, are coming together. The next generation of psychologists, dietitians, and health professionals will take diet culture down!!
- We need to teach health professionals about weight bias and weight stigma. It's harmful to our health, even more-so than eating that french fry.
- Diets are sneaky manipulators, so smart that sometimes we don't even know we're being manipulated.
- It's time to engage in our politics, understand our privilege, and stand up to diet and body oppression. It's time for us all to feel more at home in our own skin, and to end the normalization of diets and fatphobia. See you in 2018!
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.
Click here to leave me a review in iTunes and subscribe. This type of kindness helps the show continue!
Thank you for listening to the Love, Food series.